Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow Days and Sewing

The snow has allowed me to spend hours and hours in the studio. T.J's been working from home and we finally have a studio both of us can work in and not get in each others way. I have knocked three things off my project list since the snow started. Four things including last Sunday.

Baby Bedding
Fabric: Could 9 Organic Cotton
Sheets: pre-pattern cut. Double up.
Blanket Patch Layout
Natural Batting.  Pin Strip Shirt Fabric (Back)
Blanket Completed
Pre-Front Pillow

Completed Owl Pillow
Pillow, Blanket, and Crib Skirt

The first thing on my project list was baby bedding for Everett's nursery. My sister Becca asked me to sew her baby bedding months ago. We went to City Craft and she picked out great nursery prints by Cloud 9. Becca got enough fabric for two fitted crib sheets, a crib skirt to tie at the bottom of the crib, a blanket, and a pillow.

  1. I started with the crib sheets by using a pattern. I doubled up the two prints and cut them at the same time. It called for one package of 1/4 woven elastic. It was daunting at first to make fitted sheets, but once I read the directions it was very simple and quick.   
  2. Next I made a crib skirt. I went to Becca's house and measured then came home and made a three part skirt with one pleat in the middle on the long side and ribbon at the top of each corner/middle to tie onto the crib bottom.   
  3. The blanket was a challenge, since it was my first time making a patch work. I carefully laid it out trying to balance of each print and color. I was inspired by Simple Sewing for Baby's play quilt with pocket, except I didn't make a pocket, made it bigger, and used a more complex pattern. Becca wanted some orange in the blanket to tie in some lamps that are in the room, so we picked out some tangerine giant cotton ric rac.  
  4. The pillow was fun to make. A while back I made Becca some owl aplique napkins, so this and the baby shower invite inspired me when doing the design for the pillow case. I categorized the prints by color and designated them to certain parts of the pillow. I added a button for the eye with spokes by threading on top of the button, making it more secure for baby hands. The case is removable for wash when baby gets it dirty! 
Becca and J.T. have been busy with the nursery. It is coming along so great! Becca has put her flair on it with Everett's name, each letter in a different typography, texture, and color. She also made a cute hand sewn mobile with stuffed fabric birds perched on wood branches. Her co-worders helped put up tree adhesive trees she found on etsy. J.T. has remodeled their crib from a oak to a dark grey. It has to be the cutest DIY baby room I've seen. 

SOON to come......the NURSERY completed, with all items placed. I can't wait to SHARE.  


This is number 3 on my list of projects. I got this fabric in the summer of 09' to make napkins for T.J. and me with orange and yellow ric rac. I'm not crazy about the floral yellow-orange print, but I plan on adding to this set to make it bigger for when guests come over for dinner. Can't wait to wipe my dirty mouth on them :) I want to never use paper napkins again....even when taking my lunch in a box.


  1. projects look great! I am slowly starting an unmatching napkin set for my house!

  2. And the baby bedding is awesome! The nursery is going to look so cute, don't forget to takes some pictures of it all decked out.